Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Giving Thanks 2013

Here we are again, it's time to bring out the draw string pants and the loose shirts, tuck in those bibs, and dig in!  Thanksgiving!!!!

Personally, this has always been a favorite holiday of mine.  Though typically, meat choice aside, Mom would do the same spread of sides for each holiday... I just always liked Thanksgiving.  Maybe it's because both parents tended to be present, maybe it's because it's full of desserts (a more likely reason), or maybe it's those amazing hand-turkey crafts you do in school. Whatever the reason, I always look forward to a slice of pumpkin pie and some green bean casserole.

Food and nostalgia aside, the most redeeming part of this holiday (to me) is the part where we all say what we are thankful for.  Now I know on facebook it's a popular thing in the month of November to write something each day, but I personally like to think about it through the month and really celebrate everything I'm thankful for on the day of Thanksgiving.  Last year I wrote a blog and this year I'm clearly doing the same. Keep in mind this is what I'm thankful for, I can't speak for Thomas (though clearly he would agree because it's so good).

My 2013 Thankful List:

This year, I am of course thankful for the fact that after five long weeks in the hospital, Tom was sent home Monday and will be able to join the family for the holiday in the comfort of home. Last year he was released the following day. 

I am SO incredibly grateful to be able to report that his counts are recovering really well now (they were a little slow in the start, but the doc seems pleased now).

I'm so thankful to have had Helen out here for the duration of all of this.  For those who don't know, she has actually changed her return flight home twice during this stay because Tom was having such a difficult time. My level of gratitude is not even possible to articulate.

I am very thankful for my mother who at the drop of a hat, changed her appointments and came down to spend the days with Tom because both Helen and I got sick and were banned. Thank you so much for being so selfless.

I am so happy to have a job that I love, that not only gives me Thanksgiving off to be with my family, but will also pay me for it.  I worked very hard for a long time to finally have something so good with such amazing and supportive coworkers who make meals for me to take to the hospital... I'm blessed.

I am thankful to even have a place to call home and be able to host Thanksgiving.  Not even 8 months ago we weren't sure how we were going to even make ends meet.  Which leads me to my next one...

I am (and I know this goes for Tom and our families) SO incredibly grateful for the sincerely amazing generosity of all of those who have helped us in this last year.  There are way too many names to list, so please take no offense and know that with our most heartfelt appreciation we absolutely thank every one for all of the love and support.  I was very quick to leave my hometown when I was younger, but I tear up every time I tell the story of how my home community was there when I needed them and most of them not even knowing Tom and some not even knowing me, came out and supported us and helped us make it for months. Thank you Leslie and Erin/Eric and the Mesker Family, my mom, and Sav Mor, for doing all that you did to make that fundraiser such a success! I can only hope that I can be generous enough in life to really deserve it.

And for those outside of my hometown, you are not forgotten either!  We had such an amazing sense of support rise up in the Santa Cruz area and we really have the Kirby Family to thank for that and for coming up with the idea to share our story and put it out there.  It took a lot and I felt so horrible and thought everyone would judge us, but I was also scared about how we would make it work if I didn't and we were just absolutely flabbergasted by the amount of sincere care and support we received.  And I have not forgot team East Coast!  I was just telling my mother how one silver lining is the amazing bond I've been able to make with family I didn't know so well previously.  And thank you to everyone who has ever sent us cards, notes, called, cheered us on, etc. We needed it and still do and we appreciate it so much!


While the situation we are in is one I would absolutely never wish on anyone, it has really made me see how many wonderful people there are and how loved we are and how much support we really do have. Now I'm at my desk with tears in my eyes as I'm writing this, but really thank you.

Lastly, while it may go without saying... I'll say it anyway.  I am so thankful to have a husband who continues to fight, no matter how hard it gets (and it's been hard), how many weeks sick, how scary possible outcomes could be... You always do it and you pull through and I am so grateful to have such a shining example of perseverance and courage. You're my hero.


To the business side of things, Tom should have a bone marrow biopsy soon (maybe a week or so) and that should tell us if this has worked or if we have to continue and do it again, etc. Please keep him in your prayers for good results.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.


Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment